The most important decision after class 10 is opting for the right stream of study. Selecting the right stream is really important as your future depends on it. Most of the students completing their 10th standard are confused about deciding a right career path. Selecting the right course after class X is not an easy task.
For a successful career, careful planning and following it up with a workable plan is needed.Stay away from the herd mentality of going for the course your friends are enrolling for or the one your parents are suggesting. Below are 3 main streams which are mainly opted by students
Science – The Usual Favourite – Science is the most popular and favourite career option for the majority of the parents and students. Science stream offers many lucrative career options such as Engineering, Medical, IT and you can even opt for research roles.The best advantage of taking science stream is, it keeps your options open. You might switch from science to commerce or science to arts. But it is not possible to do the other way around. “The science of today is the technology of tomorrow.”
Commerce –Best for Business – Commerce is known as the second most popular stream. If you are fascinated by numbers, finances, and economics, commerce is for you. The stream has promising and handsomely paying professions like Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, Accountants, Investment Banking and Financial Advisors. However, one has to enroll for professional courses in the respective domains after completing class 12. These include B.Com, BBA, BMS, BBM, CFA, CA, ICWA, CFP etc.
Arts / Humanities – Off-beat & Exciting Options – Humanities popularly known as the Arts stream is traditionally the least preferred option among Class 10 students but this perception is changing with time. Today, Arts stream has emerged as the widest study stream among all three, offering some interesting, off-beat and exciting career opportunities. Traditionally, the Arts stream was limited to students who were interested in academic research but this perception has changed in the last decade. An Arts student can opt for career options like Journalism, Literature, Social Work, Teaching and many others.
List of Courses after 10th Science, Arts & Commerce
Intermediate (11th, 12th Class/ PUC) – General Courses (Science and Humanities) along with Languages (English, Telugu, Hindi, Sanskrit, French, Arabic) It is a two years course.
- MPC – Maths, Physics, Chemistry
- BiPC – Biology(Botany, Zoology), Physics, Chemistry
- CEC – Civics, Economics, Commerce
- MEC – Maths, Economics, Commerce
- HEC – History, Economics, Civics/Commerce
- MBPC – Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry
“Compulsory Paper- Ethics and Human Values”
Polytechnic – POLYCET (Polytechnic Common Entrance Test) ; CEEP (Common Entrance Exam for Polytechnic) Diploma Courses in Engineering and Non-Engineering. Its is a three years course.
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Engineering
- Diploma in Garment Technology
- Diploma in Home Science
- Diploma in Agriculture
3) ITI (Industrial Trading Institute)/ ITC (Industrial Training Center) – It is a two year courses of Engineering and Non-Engineering Field. It is called as Trade Industry where you can learn basic skills in technical field. AITT (ALl India Trade Test)
- Electrician, Carpenter, Plumber, Fitter, Mechanic & Technician
4) Paramedical – Allied Healthcare Course: It is about Healthcare workers who provide clinical services for patients under the supervision of a Physician. They are two year courses.
- DMLT- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- DHFM – Diploma in Hospital Food Service Management
- DOT – Diploma in Opthalmic Technology
5) Short-term Courses – They are called the job oriented courses that are useful to get a job after short span of time. Usually 6-12 months courses.
- Diploma in 2D and 3D Animation
- Diploma in Computer Applications
- Certificate Course in Graphic Designing
- Certificate Programme in MS-Office
- Certificate Course in Web Designing
- Certificate Course in Programming Language (JAVA, C++, PHP, SQL)
- Certification Course in SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
List of Courses after 12th Science, Arts & Commerce
For those who have studied Science with Maths (PCM/PCMB) in Class XI and XII, the most popular courses are BTech/BE, Integrated MTech, BCA, BArch & BSc
For students who have studied Science with Biology (PCB/PCMB) in Class XI and XII, the most popular courses are MBBS,BDS, BPharma, Nursing & Paramedical
For those who have studied Commerce (with Maths/without Maths) in Class 11 and 12, the most popular courses at UG level are BCom, BCom(H), Eco(H), BBA/BMS, Integrated MBA, CFP, CA and CS.
To pursue most of the courses after class XII, a candidate has to appear in common entrance tests, conducted either by government bodies or private institutes.
|Stream Specific Entrance Exams||Top Exams|
|Engineering Entrance Exams||JEE Main, JEE Advanced|
|Medical Entrance Exams||NEET UG, NEET PG, AIIMS MBBS|
|Science Entrance Exams||NEST, IIT JAM, JEST|
List of Courses after Graduation
The information provided above will help students with a list of courses available in India they can choose from.
References & For more details refer below sites: